This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Swim Instructor/Private Swim Instructor at Kandiyohi County Area Family YMCA intentionally fosters a causecentered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Assume other duties, responsibilities and projects identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by supervisor.
- Developing Self & Others
- Functional Expertise
- Minimum age of 16
- BLS/BFA/02 certification within first 30 days of employment.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification or equivalent.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Additional trainings as required by the position.
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Noise levels in work environment is usually moderate.